Who we are
We are a member of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), an evangelical and Reformed denomination with over 1,450 churches and missions throughout the USA and Canada. Founded in 1973, the PCA is committed to the absolute authority and infallibility of the Bible, the supremacy and sovereignty of God over all things, and the Great Commission. Locally, we form part of the Presbytery of the Pacific Northwest, a collection of PCA churches in Washington, Oregon, Alaska, and Idaho.
THE VISION OF THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH IN AMERICA
- As one communion in the worldwide church, the Presbyterian Church in America exists to glorify God by extending the kingdom of Jesus Christ over all individual lives through all areas of society and in all nations and cultures. To accomplish this end, the PCA aims to fill the world with churches that are continually growing in vital worship, in theological depth, in true fellowship, in assertive evangelism, and in deeds of compassion.
- The distinctiveness of the PCA lies in our stress on both reformation and revival. Without an emphasis on revival, “reformation” may become either a mimicking of political ideologies or sterile doctrinalism. Without an emphasis on reformation, “revival” may become a shallow pietism or mysticism. Only reformation and revival together can accomplish the Great Commission of our Lord.
- We are committed to the Scriptures and the historic Westminster Standards based firmly on a biblical theology that answers the questions and issues of each culture and people to which we minister.
- We are committed to worship that practices the presence and power of God within the church to the transformation of the surrounding culture through biblical application in population centers around the world.
- We are committed to the winning of new converts and their incorporation into the church through the ministry of the Word, and to significant ministry to the needy through deeds of mercy and service.
- We are committed to the freedom of every member to minister through spiritual gifts and also to the responsibility to do so under spiritual authority and loving discipline.
- We are committed to dynamic, prophetic confrontation on non-Christian thought forms and behavior, and also to the demonstration of the truth through the practice of holiness and love in Christian fellowship.
- We are committed to guarding and strengthening the biblical family, and also to a ministry to the broken family forms such as the divorced, the widowed and the unwed parent.
- We are committed to teaching and discipling men and women in the whole counsel of God and also to ministering to the needs of the whole person.